Monday, February 14, 2011

V is for Vixen

Those three words.
Symbolic tokens.

Displays of affection.


Grand gestures.


Tasty delights.
Dark desires.

Move over Saint Valentine...February 14th brings out the Vixen in everyone!  So it seems, as I view the unnatural activity on the streets of Sydney.  Boomingly over priced red roses, men desperatly running around with bouquets, women boasting about this years conquest, or moaning about the lack thereof, and cafes and restaurants filled with couples ordering luxurious desserts they usually wouldn't fathom digesting.  But who cares..."gimme gimme gimme!" they all seem to yell.  This February the 14th I notice the oddity of such compulsive behaviour.  Yet noone stops and stares.

I much prefer to be noticed carrying a lone Lily on January 7th, or March 15th, or June 21st...in fact any date that isn't Valentines Day.  Because today all I see are Vixens grabbing whatever they can get!

But I say let it be.  Perhaps unleashing some inner Vixen is what each of us need. 

And I am not ready to let go of the belief that there is still romance, thought and love to be found amongst this chaotic purchasing.  I do so as I nibble contently on the hand-made heart shapped Anzac biscuits delivered to me this morning. 

Maybe V is for Valentine after all.

xox