Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dancing with a pen

Yes, there have been many great thinkers throughout history.  (Note: I feel liberated to make such general statements outside academic context) Some of who, I admit, one gets sick of hearing about when attending University.  Having said this, I genuinely enjoy some good Nietzsche.  This following quote is prime turf for me:

"Dancing in all its forms cannot be excluded from the curriculum of all noble education; dancing with the feet, with ideas, with words, and, need I add that one must also be able to dance with the pen?"

My passions for dance and writing have been in existence for as long as I can remember; which photos of myself at age 2 sitting with turned-out, pointed feet and arms poised show, as do the scraps of poems and stories written from the age I learnt to write.  I have discovered, not so easily, that art can be harnessed in every form of life, and one can create art not only physically with the body, but also with words...which ultimately emerge from the body.

The prospect of combining writing and dance has etched at my soul and become a passion.  An almost ephemeral moment being captured on paper.

So be prepared...
CAUTION: This blog will contain dance reviews written by yours truly. 

If you progress beyond this warning, please feel free to comment, leave feedback, give advice, agree, disagree...you know the drill.

There will be other non-dance-related musings, for those who fear the unknown.  Stay tuned.

Thanking you in advance.

xox