Sunday, February 13, 2011

An Owl's Tale

Why an owl you ask? 

If you saw my token owl collection (or rather plethora!) you may grasp a slight understanding of where my inspiration came from.  It represents a current obsession that is (I think) quirky and interesting, but in all honesty may one day result in men running in the other direction. 

However it represents far more.  This large eyed bird is a deeply embedded scar imposed upon by my loving parents, who called me an 'owl'.  Do no panic.  They did not NAME me 'owl'.  (Instead I was branded 'Sara' which in fact means 'princess'.  I think perhaps an owl would have been better suited.) But they did insist on imposing this nickname...with good intentions. 

To them the owl, with its monumental eyes, did not represent a solitary, nocturnal predator, but rather a symbol of wisdom.  (They had high hopes for me.)  Understandably, this is a common belief held in Western culture, apparently sparked by Athena, goddess of wisdom, who had an owl as her symbol.  But they failed to contemplate that in Africa owls are viewed as harbingers of bad luck, ill health and death.  Or that in the America's they are associated with sorcery and other evils, also a symbol of death and destruction.  And in the Middle East they are also seen as bad omens. 

So you can see that from the above, that odds were never on my side.  Despite this, the nickname stuck.  And along with it came the snowballing collection of owl mementos.  I don't mind so much.  I always admired the character 'Owl' from my beloved 'Winnie The Pooh' tales as a child.  And I do adore the task of hunting down replica's of these hunters.  Plus they look fabulous on my mantle. 

Of course one may notice that owls have become 'trendy' around the place.  This: a) infuriates me, because the large eyed subject of my ONE quirky collection now exists in almost all shop windows, the homes of those simply following trend, and not to mention tattooed on those desperate to fill yet another empty patch of skin with ink (and I am a fan of ink!); and b) gives me silent joy that I can expand my owl caboodle to the next cabinet or shelf in my room. 

With this come amazing pieces of owl art, which I will eagerly collect, cute owl cards which put a rewarding smile on the recipients face, not to mention amazing canvas bags, of which no one can ever have enough.

And well, I do have big eyes.

So although not by choice, I have delightfully claimed the title of an owl, and this blog will represent that which the owl's eyes see.  And owls see everything.

Enjoy xox